Planning for tomorrow. Powering generations to come.
Advanced Meters. Smarter Future.
Entergy Mississippi is committed to continuous improvement of its systems and services and utilizing new technology to build a smarter grid. The first step toward modernizing and building a smarter energy future for our customers is transitioning to advanced metering infrastructure -- or AMI -- for homes and businesses we serve. It's a system that allows two-way communication between us and our customers.
With AMI, customers will get more tools and better information to help understand and manage their energy use more effectively, which can lead to lower bills and potential energy reduction. We'll be able to identify outages more accurately, so crews can make repairs and restore electricity faster. Having near real-time information on energy usage allows us to better answer billing and service questions more quickly.
Upgrading to advanced metering in Mississippi will offer our customers the following important benefits:
- More accurate outage information to help restore power faster.
- Stronger and smarter localized electrical infrastructure to help improve community resiliency.
- More detailed usage information to help customers better understand and manage their energy use.
- Improved customer service through expanded energy use data to help resolve billing issues more effectively.
Energy diversity means sustainability and affordability.
Maintaining a diverse energy portfolio is critically important for the short- and long-term well-being of our customers. Entergy Mississippi currently utilizes natural gas, coal and nuclear energy sources. This level of diversity not only keeps prices as low as possible, but it helps to control emission output.
- Natural Gas -- 51%
- Coal -- 13%
- Nuclear -- 14%
- Purchases -- 22%
We're also looking to the future with solar energy. We currently operate the state's first utility-owned solar project. Three Entergy solar sites throughout the state provide 1500kw of energy, while providing data and insight into how we can better incorporate solar into our power grid on a greater scale.
Entergy Mississippi is committed to a diverse energy portfolio because we're committed to do right by our customers.
Investing in the power grid. Investing in our future.
The future of Mississippi depends on efficient, reliable energy infrastructure. This infrastructure network, also known as the power grid, is comprised of transmission and distribution lines, substations and transformers. The lines are the "roads" that deliver electricity to our customers, and the substations tie the transmission and distributions systems together.
We've made significant investments to strengthen Mississippi's infrastructure to meet the growing needs of our residents and businesses for years to come.
Some of the improvements include:
- Replacing wooden poles with stronger composite material to test for strength and longevity as part of a pilot program.
- Adding over 200 miles of new distribution and transmission lines to the 20,000 miles of lines currently managed by Entergy Mississippi.
- Replacing copper distribution wires with lighter, more reliable aluminum wires.
- Increasing tree-trimming and vegetation management efforts throughout the 23,400 square miles managed by Entergy Mississippi.