Entergy Charitable Foundation Grant Guidelines and Application
Before applying for an Entergy Charitable Foundation Grant, please read the following guidelines and instructions.
The goal of the Entergy Charitable Foundation (ECF) is to support initiatives that help create and sustain thriving communities. ECF has a special focus on low-income initiatives as well as educational and literacy programs.
In considering requests for grants, priority is placed on programs in specific counties/parishes. Please check the following links to determine if your project is located in an area where Entergy has operations: Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Massachusetts, Michigan, New York, and Texas. If you have questions about this, please contact the Entergy contributions coordinator in your state.
IMPORTANT NOTE: The Google Chrome internet browser is not compatible with Entergy’s grants system. To save and submit your application successfully, you should use Internet Explorer (versions 7 and above) or Firefox with Silverlight.
Applications for the Foundation generally are reviewed twice a year. Each applicant must complete and submit an online application form. We strongly suggest that when filling out the application you take advantage of the option to create a personal account so that you can save your application and edit it, if necessary, prior to submission. If you have already started an application, saved it and created an account, please click here to access your application.
The Foundation staff reviews and evaluates requests before they are presented to the Foundation’s Board of Directors. The Board does not entertain oral presentations from applicants. Applications are approved or denied based on application criteria and the Foundation’s available resources.
Applications must be submitted by the following deadlines: February 1st and August 1st. Applications should NOT be submitted more than one month prior to the deadline (i.e., for the August 1st deadline, July 1st is the earliest date applications are accepted).
Please make sure to submit your application at least three months prior to the time the requested funds are needed. We receive many applications throughout the year, and we need to allow sufficient time to review each request carefully. Once you have submitted your application online, please allow at least three months after the deadline date (see above) for notification of the result of your request. If by that time Entergy has not contacted you, please feel free to call the appropriate contributions coordinator for your geographic area. (See above list.)
Low-Income Initiatives & Solutions
The Foundation seeks programs that provide for innovative and measurable ways to positively impact families and their ability to support those most vulnerable, the children and the elderly. Such programs may include, but are not limited to:
- Sustaining families and self-sufficiency
- Technical assistance and training for non-profits
- Home-ownership preparation
- Energy management and awareness
- Innovative use and promotion of alternative sources of energy
Education & Literacy
When people are geared with knowledge, they become more effective within their communities. Educated, critically thinking citizens make the community as a whole more powerful. One of the key issues in combating poverty is eliminating illiteracy. Thriving communities depend on self-sufficient, productive citizens. At Entergy, we believe that an essential element to healthy, thriving communities is creating an environment where every individual has basic reading and writing skills.
Eligibility and Preferences
Grants from the Foundation will only be made to the following types of organizations:
- Non-profit organizations that are tax exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code ("Tax Code"), or
- Schools, hospitals, governmental units and religious institutions that hold nonprofit status similar to that of 501(c)(3) organizations, which may therefore be eligible.
- Volunteer fire departments that are 501(c)(4)
NOTE: Due to changes in tax reporting requirements, if your organization does not hold 501(c)(3) tax status, you will have to attach the organization's W-9 form to the application. You can access a blank W-9 form at http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf?portlet=103.
The Foundation will NOT fund:
- Groups without 501(c)(3) or similar non-profit status
- Payment of utility bills
- Capital project funding (i.e., building campaigns)
- Political candidates or groups
- Gala events, testimonials or fundraising meals, advertisements in programs or similar fundraising activities
- Purchase of uniforms, equipment, or trips for school-related organizations or amateur sports teams
- Activities whose sole purpose is promotion or support of a specific religion, denomination, or religious institution
- Grants to individuals or loans of any type
- Any organization owned or operated by an employee of Entergy
For more information please call 504-576-6980.